Picking the right service to write a book for you or a family member is a very personal decision, and it’s important that you pick the right solution for your family. You’ll be sharing your life stories and spending quite a bit of time with your writers, so it’s critical that you not only choose a ghostwriting team that can technically complete the work – but that you choose a team you and your family members genuinely like and want to work with.
By considering us, you’ve already honored us. It would be an even greater honor to be entrusted with your memoir or autobiography project.
What You Can Expect
A personal project like a memoir or autobiography is different than, say, a corporate website or a business book – and our memoir and autobiography clients come to us with a very specific set of goals and concerns. Whether they are purchasing our service for themselves or for a family member, they want to work with a writer who will genuinely enjoy listening to their story – and they want to know that they’ll end up with a book they’ll be proud to share with friends and family.
Here’s what you and your family can expect when you work with us:
- We will take the time to get to know you. Before we write a word, we visit you in your home (or office or other space of your choosing) and spend two to three days interviewing you and your family. We learn more about your story and discuss your style preferences, timelines, additional interviewees, and printing options.
- We will listen to you. Your writing team wants to hear what you have to say. We come to every interview ready to hear your story – and we take detailed notes and make recordings to make sure that we don’t miss a word.
- We won’t disappear. Ghostwriting shouldn’t imply you’re working with a ghost! Ghostwriting is a collaborative, back-and-forth effort. We communicate with you regularly, and you’ll always know the status of your book.
- If you don’t like something, we’ll change it. It’s your book, and we want you to be 100% happy with it. We seek feedback from you on everything we write. You tell us what’s working and what you’d like to change – and we revise based on your comments.
Past Ghostwriting Projects
We have written, edited, or consulted on 35 books, and about a third of those have been memoirs or autobiographies. Below are just a few examples of memoir and autobiography books we’ve ghostwritten.
Please note that details are intentionally vague to protect our clients’ identities, as not all of them want to share the fact that they used a ghostwriter.
- The autobiography of a German war bride. The Writers For Hire conducted several days of onsite interviews with a German immigrant who came to the United States after World War II. The novel-length book chronicled her extraordinary life, from a childhood of surviving air raids in Berlin and running away from a Hitler Youth work camp to an adulthood raising a family and running a ranch in the American West.
- A grandfather’s autobiography, spanning his childhood growing up during the Great Depression to his military service, his marriage and family, and his career. Commissioned by his grandchildren as a way to preserve a piece of family history, the finished book was self-published and distributed to family members as a holiday gift.
- An inspirational medical memoir by a woman with a rare genetic defect. Written to inspire and give hope to anyone grappling with health issues, this book told the story of a woman’s struggle with a mysterious illness, from her quest for a diagnosis to her eventual surgery and recovery. The book required hours of personal interviews with family members, fellow patients, and medical experts.
- The autobiography of a female oil company executive, which chronicles the client’s life through some of her most interesting moments. This true tale of life and love shares the experiences of a Virginia woman transported into the Texas oil industry.
Sure, we think our writing team is pretty great – but we’re just a bit biased. If you’d like to learn more about what it’s like to work with us, from our real ghostwriting customers, we can provide references upon request.