Autological Words: Words That Describe Themselves
AUTOLOGICAL WORDS: WORDS THAT DESCRIBE THEMSELVES
As writers, we are passionate about words and language. Oftentimes, when we come across a word that we have never heard before, we immediately want to know not only the meaning, but also the history of the word.
In most cases, as with most words, the actual meaning of the word has nothing to do with the word itself. Words are generally just arbitrary sounds that are put together to give something a name.
The word “pink” is not pink. And the word “cold” is definitely not cold.
There are, however, some words that are perfect embodiments of the things they are meant to describe. These words are referred to as “autological words.”
In our never-ending quest for knowledge, we stumbled across a wonderful article from Mental Floss that gives a great list of some delightful autological words, along with their meanings.
From “Polysyllabic” to “Magniloquent,” we hope you enjoy this great list as much as we did.
- 0 Comment
Subscribe to Newsletter
- 5 Great Ways to Turn Your Blog Posts into a Book
- Give the Gift of Connection This Holiday Season
- Digital vs. Print Books: How a Ghostwriter Can Boost Both Digital and Print Publishing
- Write Your Book Without Writing a Word! How to Hire a Ghostwriter to Get Your Book Written
- 4 Surefire Ways to Keep Your Nonfiction Book Project on Track